Frequently asked questions
- We have pods to suit Nespresso®*, Caffitaly®* and K-Fee®* systems.
- We have manufactured tens of millions of pods over the years - not to toot our own horn, but we are pretty good at it!
- Our innovation - we have the world's first Nespresso®* compatible hot chocolate pod - that’s right world’s first. Congratulations to us!
- More innovation – we are the first in Australia to manufacture compatible pods for Caffitaly®* and K-Fee®* systems. High five’s all round!
- Our variety – along with great coffee, we offer a range of chocolate, flavoured chocolate, sugar free flavoured and iced coffee pods – a pod for everyone in the family.
- Our value - thanks to advances in technology, our pods are more economical to produce and we pass the savings on to customers!
- Our efficiency - our state-of-the-art pod technology has allowed us to reduce our packaging to less than half the cubic size of many competitors.
- Our quality - our next generation pod technology produces the best crema of all compatible pods.
- Our blends - our coffee is specifically blended to meet Australian standards and is stronger than our competitors. I know it’s hard to contain your excitement, but just try.
- Our Environment – We try to do our bit for the environment. Our pods are made from Food Grade BPA Free Plastic, which is recyclable. Some of our pods are also biodegradable✝.
All Nespresso®* machines, including Le Cube, all Essenza models, all Citiz models, all Pixie models, all Lattissima models, all U models, Maestria and Inissia coffee machines. Our pods are not compatible with Nespresso®* Vertuoline machines. Compatibility cannot be guaranteed with the following professional machines: Gaggia, Saeco or Siemens machines, built-in models (Miele), Romeo Nespresso®* machine and capsule-holder machines, nor with multi-capsule machines.
Pods labelled as Caffitaly compatible will work with all machines which accept Caffitaly®* pods.
Pods labelled as K-Fee compatible will work with all machines which accept K-Fee®* pods.
No, our pods have been specially developed for use with the Nespresso®* system and are made of a flexible, yielding material which is guaranteed never to melt in your machine. All tests show that our pods do not damage your machine in any way. Be sure to regularly maintain your coffee machine and follow the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions, as this is essential to ensure the quality of the coffee extracted.
All of our pods have been designed to give best results when using the short shot on your machine. If you are using the long shot, you will be damaging your coffee extraction. For more info see here.
We recommend that you purge your machine and heat your cup before making a coffee. This can be done in one easy step by running hot water from your machine into your cup 2 or 3 times (without inserting a pod). Pour out the hot water and proceed to make your espresso. Enjoy.
Good water quality is essential for a good coffee. We recommend that you use filtered water. Remember to refill the water tank regularly.
Our pods and coffee have been developed to deliver a true, classic espresso. To enjoy a real espresso, it is advisable to extract a 25-40ml shot of coffee. The extraction time for this is usually around 20 seconds of coffee flow depending on the variant.
Use two pods one after the other to ensure the balance of flavour. We advise you not to simply use the same pod twice as this will adversely affect flavour and intensity.
Our coffee is roasted, ground and packed in Australia. It is packed within days of roasting. The manufacturing and packing process extracts the oxygen from the pod and then wraps it in airtight aluminum foil, retaining flavours and aromas in an optimally modified atmosphere.
We source our beans from all over the world, including Central America, South America, Vietnam, Africa and more. Different beans and unique roasting techniques are used to get each blend the way we like them in terms of flavour, body and intensity.
We use both Arabica and Robusta beans in our blends. Arabica for flavour, body and aroma and Robusta for intensity and a kick! While many people might think that 100% Arabica is the only way to drink their coffee, you must remember that a pod system uses far less coffee than a traditional espresso machine which you will find at your local cafe'. Therefore, to get a desired strength and intensity, Robusta is required. Don't worry, our blends are not bitter.
We recommend flushing the machine for 3 seconds without a pod inside (water only), before using an alternative beverage.
If your packet and foil is unopened we have a shelf life of 24 months. Once opened we recommend you consume within 6 weeks for optimal freshness. Never want to run out of Express Pods pods? Try our Subscribe and Save feature.
For best results, you should fill a cup with as much hot water as you desire and then extract a pod into the hot water as normal. You may wish to extract 2 pods for more flavour and intensity.
Yes, this is quite normal. Our pods are made of food grade plastic and because of this closing the lever of the machine may require additional effort, however the pod will not damage your machine.
Yes, this is normal, and is not a sign of any damage to the machine. We aim to get a longer extraction time in order to release all the flavours and aromas of the coffee. A good extraction time for a traditional espresso style coffee is approximately 20 seconds. The coffee may drip through or extract slower than a Nespresso®* pod. This is quite normal. Remember, coffee is a natural product and preparation time can vary accordingly.
Our coffee is very finely ground. Occasionally a few of the very finest particles of coffee may get past the filter plate and extract along with the coffee into the cup. Coffee is a natural product and this will not affect your health. By rinsing the machine, the remaining coffee grains may be flushed out of the machine.
Follow the manufacturer’s guide. Service the machine as recommended. Descale your coffee machine on a regular basis. Check the filter plate for residue and remove, if necessary.
Our pods are produced from Food Grade BPA free plastic. They can be placed in your plastics recycling bin, but please remove the lid and coffee first (the used coffee is great for the garden!)
Yes, we do. Our Urban Brew brand comes in a biodegradable✝︎ pod.